Monday, January 26, 2009


A few highlights since I last posted.....

Tuesday: The day of the inauguration was the first time that I did not feel hesitant about wearing my American identity abroad. Decked out in our Obama gear, we went to the Intercontinental Hotel, where the organization “Democrats Abroad” were hosting a viewing. It was PACKED with people and camera crews. Practically all of the American students studying in Madrid were there, which made it weird since I wasn’t used to hearing so much English. I met up with my Uncle Barry, whom I haven’t see in a long time, and his partner, Anya, who is some sort of Spanish food critic I believe. It was really great to see them both. My friends and I ended up getting in the newspaper!

Thursday: On Thursday, my Uncle invited me to come with him for drinks and the house of some of their friends. The apartment ended up being only a few blocks from where I live, in the beautiful neighborhood. I only received a brief background of the people, since the walk was so close. My understanding of the conversation was that the family worked in the food business and had some sort of prominent place in Spain because they’re family before them had owned a good portion of the Olive Oil in Spain. When I got there, I met the daughter (18) and the son (21). Both were incredibly nice. The son spoke English with a British accent, since he had gone to school in Duram since he was around 16. My uncle had to leave early to go out for tapas, but I stayed longer. We talked for a long time and then went out for drinks after. I don’t understand how people can drink so much here and stay out so late and not be a mess? Anyway, the family was very, very nice and gave me their home phone number, telling me to call and come over WHENEVER I like. I can never tell if people say that because they honestly mean it or solely out of politeness.

Saturday: We decided to give Pele Mele another chance and go back their for drinks on Saturday night. I hardly recognized it when we walked in. The place was PACKED with people all wearing “Pele-Mele” cowboy hats, eating or dancing under the club-lights and watching drag queens and male strippers dance. It was wild. The main drag queen was this HIDIOUS pale hairy man, who kept pumping his loan-draped-package towards Kami’s face. Ridiculous. I could only stay out until around 3am. I’m slowly increasing my stamina for the Spanish night life.

Sunday: Today I woke up earlier in order to go to the Reina Sofia with Karra and be back in time for lunch at 2:15. The museum was AMAZING. I didn’t realize how taken I’d be by the Guernica. I could have easily stared at it for an hour. Generally, I base the legitimacy of a museum off of its store’s collection of art printed postcards. I was decently impressed by the selection and would give it a 7.5. My hunt for boots continues tomorrow…..

No comments:

Post a Comment