This past Thursday night, several of my friends and I flew to Barcelona. We had made the choice to fly cheaply on Ryan-air and paid the consequences of true "low-budget" air travel. Sometime last year I had seen a clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3so6AJe4UQ) ) that poked fun at the way in which Ryan air tried to charge you for everything. Now I understand. When we got to the airport, several of us were charged 20 euro for not printing out our ticket online (as it was stated in fine print). We were also unaware of the strict no bag rule that didn't allow ANY exceptions. What would have been a swift boarding experience on any other line, turned into a frantic scramble as we had put on several layers of clothes (sweatpants over jeans, sweaters tied around wastes and hidden under jackets) in order to make room for our purses. Phewf! When the flimsly plastic plane finally landed, the back of the airplane applauded and cheered. Once off the plane, we had to take an hour bus ride to Barcelona (since Ryanair flies you in to Girona). Upon arriving at our hostel, we were told that they had given away our 5 person room and we were now staying in a 7 person room with two strange boys as our bunk-mates (who turned out to be great). Our room was the crappiest thing I've ever seen, with metal bunks stacked in a row, which we fondly came to refer to as "nuestro carcel" or (our prison). As if the crappy room wasn't enough, the walls were unfinished, creating the effect of sharing a room with 20 (+) people! Oh well.
We stayed right on the beach in Barcelonet, which would have been nice if it didn't rain 2 out of the 3 days we were there. However, we made the most of the first day, renting bikes and visiting parc guell with our Barcelona friends who we'd met in Cadiz during Carneval. They were so nice and very hospitable, inviting us to participate in all their plans. On the rainy days, we went to Museo de Picasso and Guadi's "Casa Mila". Both very beautiful. On Saturday night, we lugged our exhausted bodies out to experience some of the nightlife. We were steered in the direction of a popular bar called "Chupitos" (meaning "shots") where they served over 200 different kinds. The shots were all 2Euro a piece and were all presented in different enjoyable ways. We got one called the "Boy Scout" in which we were all given a marshmellow on a stick that we roasted on a fire that the bartender had made on the bar with some oil. The "Willy Wonker" consisted of a shot with whipped cream and a chocolate bar. All very fun. On Sunday, we went to the Miro museum and attempted to climb the mountain to see a great view of the city, but were unsuccessful...
Having already been to Barcelona last year with my family and Jenner, I was curious to see how my experience would change when going with my friends. I found that I really loved Barcelona, in a different way than I had before. After having lived in Madrid for over 3 months, I found that I really appreciate the nuances of the different cities. Barcelona was so alive, so inspiring with all its art and color. The language, sounding similar to italian, made everything seem that more sexy and exotic. There is something different about the people as well. Something artistically sophisticated. Also, it stimulated my obsession with spanish guitar. VERY vicky, christina barcelona esque..
No comments:
Post a Comment