My posts are a bit out of order. Since so much happened in Seville/Cadiz and I forgot to discuss what happened before.
The weekend before last I went on my first day trip with the school to the town of El Escorial. The town is located less than an hour outside of Madrid, although the scenery is entirely different with snow-capped mountains and rolling green fields. We went with my favorite school guide, Sonya, who speaks with such perfect speed and clarity that I always understand exactly what she's saying. She showed us around the Palace/Monestary (the most famous, and only thing in the city) and we learned all about the monochratic history of Spain-hay mucho! Very interesting and beautiful.
This past Tuesday, as we were shopping for wigs to wear to Carnaval, we stumbled upon a group of ridiculous American and Belgian men. They asked us for help reading spanish hallmark cards, which quickly led to a dialogue about what each of us were doing here. They explained that they were fighter jets-yea, okay..- who were here just for the night as a sort of graduation present to the younger students. They asked us to show the around the city and that they would pay us in food and drink. I normally would say no to this sort of thing, particularly since they happened to embody everything I despise about the american tourist. However, I've been trying to live by the motto "never say no to an opportunity to experience something"(within in reason of course) and my gut said, "go!" The next morning, they invited us down to the base to see them take off and to sit in the fighter jet and try on the helmets and inflatable devices. Kami and I were the only two who went, cause we both felt that it was a one-time opportunity, since we both CONDONE what fighter jets are built to do. We made sure to thank them, while at the same time expressing very clearly that we were NOT impressed by their work. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment